As any parent of a child living with eczema will tell you, they will try just about anything to help soothe their baby’s dry, red, irritated skin. Keeping babies comfortable, and rash-free can feel like an uphill battle, and parents often feel frustrated and desperate for a steroid-free solution. Eczema usually appears in the first six months to five years of a child’s life. Understanding the potential triggers can help manage flare ups and keep your baby more comfortable. According to the National Eczema Association, excessive heat and sweating can exasperate eczema symptoms which is why the colder months can be particularly grueling. Here are some tips and tricks to help your baby feel more comfortable during bouts when eczema flares up!
- Avoid giving your baby long hot baths. Cool or lukewarm water and gentle, fragrance-free cleanser can help baby’s skin from drying out. Skinfix Gentle Hair & Body Wash is a mild, daily cleanser formulated specifically to cleanse baby’s delicate skin and hair. Safe for eczema prone babies, this 2-in-1 formula uses natural botanical based cleansers that are tear free and won’t strip away skin’s natural moisture.
- Dress your baby in soft cotton clothing
- Moisturize your baby’s skin frequently with gentle, fragrance-free lotions, especially right after a bath. Skinfix Gentle Lotion is specifically formulated for dry, sensitive, eczema-prone baby skin. Free of fragrance and irritants, this silky lotion is infused with vitamins and natural soothing botanicals that quickly absorb and banish dryness on contact.
- Keep your baby's fingernails short to prevent scratching, which can damage the skin and lead to inflammation and infections.
- Use a thick balm to manage targeted eczema flare-ups. Skinfix Gentle Eczema Balm helps reduce chronic flare-ups while soothing irritated dry skin on contact. Formulated with 2% colloidal oatmeal and emollient oils, this nut-free balm has the ability to calm and relieve both babies and moms.