Diligent hand washing is a necessary part of life right now, but it can also damage your skin. It's more important than ever to keep your body’s natural armor healthy and protected.
1. Try to use hand sanitizer only when necessary. The high alcohol content is particularly tough on our skin barriers. When possible, opt for water and a gentle soap like eczema+ Foaming Oil Body Wash. But by all means use the sanitizer when soap and water aren’t an option.
2. Use warm water, rather than hot. It's tempting to use hot water because psychologically you feel like you're blasting germs away, but the hotter the water, the more it dries out our skin. Warm water and effective cleansing will do the trick.
3. Blot dry. If you wipe aggressively it can cause micro-tears in your skin. Blot with a clean towel until completely dry.
4. Follow up with fragrance-free, hydrating hand cream, like our eczema+ Hand Repair Cream, to soothe, nourish and protect your skin.
5. Be sure to treat any problem areas – eczema flare-ups, cuts, etc. with a balm to protect the area while it heals. A good one is our eczema+ Targeted Body Balm.
Founder & Total Skin Nerd